Saturday, September 11, 2021

Gorgas Power Plant... Blowdown

 

Gorgas Steam Power Generating Plant 03/28/16
 

Faded photo but the stacks were right over my fish



Me on the MV Tuscaloosa, 1973

 

 Ever since I was a little boy growing up around Bluff Creek on the Mulberry Fork of the Black Warrior River I have been seeing the smoke stacks of Gorgas coal fired power plant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I worked for Parker Towing co. hauling coal out of Gorgas. They had their own mines back then and produced more coal than they used. It will seem strange when it's all gone not to see those iconic stacks towering above Walker and Jefferson Counties. It was one of the nastiest coal burners in the country. I won't miss it. 

On Sept. 09/2021 I went with three of my fellow Waterkeepers to document the blasting of the old Gorgas power generating plant. It was a good thing to see.


This power plant was the dirtiest, as for emissions anywhere in the state and 7th dirtiest in the country. For several generations this plant has been spewing coal ash, dust and harmful greenhouse gasses since 1917. It was time to take it down 20 years ago.   

 


 

Goodbye Gorgas. You will not be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment