Thursday, October 24, 2019

Fall 2019 Is Here

There's something mystical about being in a creek or river when the sun comes up. I like to get there just before sunrise and wait for that golden hour of soft light that comes just before full sunshine washes the colors out. The eye of the camera can bring out colors you might not see with the naked eye. I'll never forget my first photo trip to the creek with my mentor, Beth Young.
Beth, in her element... Water
She said be ready at 06:30. I woke up to hear her blowing the horn outside my window so I threw on some pants and ran out to go shoot without even a cup of coffee. Fortunately Beth had pity on me AND a big thermos of hot coffee. I kept thinking, what the heck am I doing? About 5 minutes on the water in that light and I was absolutely sold on being there and have made it a regular part of my scenic photo work. Believe me, it's worth it!

William Green, Seth Farmer, Montana Maniscalco, Mack Mccollum
Fall 2019 is here and shaping up to be a pretty one. With the recent drought, I was skeptical about how much color we would see. It may not last long so get your cameras out, charge up the batteries, format the cards and get out there and capture it.

I had the honor to host the crew with Center for Public Television making content for APR this year for a documentary film about the creek. Interviews will air on APR with a video segment posted to their social media site. I'll keep you posted on the release date.




Early in the mornings when the temps change overnight creates a light fog which rises from the surface and dances upward like spirits. I call them Fog Dancers.





 Enjoy the photos included here but also, go out and get your own and share. I'll be going out several times while the colors are right. Every Fall is different. Every year, there's some special place like Hurricane Creek which is waiting on you to show its true glory.

Abston Haul Road. Mid day rainy Fall






No comments:

Post a Comment